Is Olive Oil Good for Your Scalp?
Olive oil with its below explained amazing properties helps a lot in protecting the scalp and making it healthy that promotes healthy, shiny and beautiful hair.
- Olive oil is full of antioxidants that help to keep the skin of your scalp in better shape. It also contains other nutrients like vitamins A and E that reduces the damage done by hair care products (chemical based) or overuse of styling products.
- It contains mono-unsaturated fatty acids which help to coat the shaft of your hair that helps to keep it healthy and protected. It coats the damaged outer layer of the hair and finally gives silky, shiny, smooth healthier hair.
- It acts as a natural moisturizer when it applied on the scalp it moisturizers the scalp and reduces the appearance of dandruff by preventing the dry and flaky scalp. It contains vitamin E (super moisturizing property) that helps to moisture your scalp and hair.
- It contains antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that fight against the common scalp and hair problems like dandruff, head lice, etc.
- The scalp will be much cleaner after taking an olive oil treatment as it contains polyphenols (water-soluble substance). It also helps to smoothens out the dry and frizzy hair without the buildup of greasiness.
- Olive oil when applied makes lifeless and damaged hair as manageable that easy to style. It softens your hair and makes it pliable by extra moisturising and strength to your hair.
Olive Oil for Scalp Treatment:
Follow these methods to keep your scalp well moisturized and nourished that results in healthy scalp and hair.
Method – 1: (Warm Olive Oil Massage)
- Olive oil, when heated provides deep conditioning for the hair and that finally leads to healthier and beautiful problem free scalp which inturn helps for perfect hair growth.
- Take 1/2 – 1 cup of olive oil and warm it either in the microwave or stove for few seconds until the oil gets warm.
- Remove it from the heat and allow it to cool for few seconds to ensure that the oil is not too hot to apply it on your scalp
- Then apply this oil to your hair by making it as parts but concentrate more on the scalp
- Allow it some time to saturate properly and massage your scalp and hair with your finger tips.
- Comb your hair and cover it with a towel or shower cap
- Let it sit for about 20 – 40 minutes or overnight and then rinse it off with shampoo and conditioner.
- This process acts as barrier on your scalp to prevent it from losing moisture and helps to remove the dead skin cells to prevent many hair and scalp problems.
- Continue doing this process once a week or whenever you cleanse your hair to get rid of the dry scalp problem.
This Warm Olive Oil Massage is also used to treat other scalp problems like dry scalp, itchy scalp, flaky scalp, dry scalp and dandruff, itchy scalp and dandruff, scalp psoriasis, scalp eczema, scalp fungus, hair growth, dry and itchy scalp dandruff, dry itchy and flaky scalp, scalp dandruff.
Method – 2: (Olive Oil)
- Take sufficient amount of olive oil (as per the length of your hair)
- Apply it on your hair staring from the hair roots and massage it towards entire scalp and hair
- Massage for few minutes until the oil is properly saturated all over the hair.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap or towel and to maximize the benefits of olive oil, stay under the dryer for 15 – 20 minutes (in order to add heat that helps for better absorption of the oil)
- Leave it for 5 – 10 minutes and then rinse it off with water followed by shampoo.
- Or simply, you can use the products that contain olive oil as one of the main ingredient in it like from shampoos, conditioners to hairsprays, etc.
Method – 3: (Olive Oil with Coconut Oil)
- Take olive oil and coconut oil in 1:1 ratio i.e. 1 tablespoon of olive oil mixed with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Stir both the oil as they mix properly.
- Apply it on your scalp and hair by massaging gently on your scalp.
- Allow it to stay on the hair for about 30 – 40 minutes and then rinse it off with water and shampoo.
Olive Oil on Scalp for Overnight:
Olive oil on scalp for overnight will be very effective treatment that helps to prevent the dryness, itchiness and dandruff on the scalp.
- Take sufficient amount of olive oil and apply it on the scalp
- Massage it gently for few minutes and cover your hair with a plastic shower cap or towel
- Leave it off for overnight and then wash it out with shampoo in the next morning.
- Repeat the same process of applying oil to your hair continuously for a week.
- You will find out that your hair and scalp will become shiny, healthy without any problem.
Olive Oil for Dry Scalp Treatment:
Dry scalp is simply defined as the condition where the scalp skin becomes extremely dry and flaky and the problem will be more serious if not taken any proper care. It can be a result from the dehydrated scalp, deficiency of some nutrients, stress, hormonal imbalance, over exposing to sunlight, etc. Dry scalp needs to be well moisturized and olive oil is a super natural moisturizer that has many efficient properties to treat the dry scalp. Here, you came to know that how to use olive oil for dry scalp.
Method – 1: (Olive Oil with Sugar Scalp Scrub)
- Take 4 – 5 tablespoons of sugar (preferably large brown sugar crystals) in a small bowl
- Add sufficient amount of olive oil and mix it well to make a fine paste.
- Apply this on your scalp and rub it gently like scrub in circular motion
- Leave it for 5 – 10 minutes and then rinse it off with shampoo and apply conditioner
- This process helps to prevents dry scalp as it cleans your scalp gently and prevents the shedding of excess skin cells that comes out whenever you starch on your scalp.
Method – 2: (Olive Oil with Honey and Vegetable Glycerine)
- Take 4 tablespoons of virgin organic olive oil and add 2 tablespoons each of pure vegetable glycerine and pure honey.
- Stir all these ingredients well.
- Shampoo your hair and apply this mixture as a conditioner
- Finally rinse your hair with water and pat it dry.
Method – 3: (Olive Oil with Avocado and Honey)
- Take a ripened avocado, 2 tablespoons of virgin olive oil and a teaspoon of honey.
- Avocado has to be mashed with the help of blender or food processor or by pressing it with hands.
- Then mix all these ingredients properly and apply it to your dry hair
- Wrap your hair with shower cap and leave it like that for at least 30 minutes
- Finish this process by washing your hair with warm water thoroughly and then shampoo it afterwards.
- This process makes your hair soft, glossy and moisturized that prevents the dry scalp.
Olive Oil for Dry Scalp and Dandruff:
Dry scalp is one of the most common problem that causes dandruff. Try these methods that makes the dryness and dandruff go away from your hair.
Method – 1: (Olive Oil with Honey)
- Take half cup of virgin olive oil and warm it for few seconds
- Add 2 teaspoons of honey and mix it well
- Apply this on your scalp and gently massage it with your fingers.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes to get saturated into your hair and scalp completely.
- Rinse it off with herbal shampoo and cover your scalp with hot towel that helps to hold the moisturizer very effectively.
- In this process, olive oil when combined with honey makes your hair healthy and moisturized as honey is anti-inflammatory and antiviral agent and olive oil moisturizes the scalp.
Method – 2: (Olive Oil with Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Take a cup of warm olive oil and apply it on your scalp and hair
- Massage your hair and scalp with your finger tips for few minutes
- Leave it like that for few hours by covering your hair with shower cap.
- Shampoo your hair and then use apple cider vinegar, a natural conditioner to condition your hair
- Let it be on for few minutes and then rinse it off with fresh water
- This process helps to reduce the dry scalp, dandruff and the inflammation caused by dry scalp.
Olive Oil for Itchy Scalp:
When you are in parties, meetings, public places, you’re scalp starts itching due to some inflammatory reaction underneath the hair on our head. Then you have to scratch your scalp to reduce your stress levels and all this will spoil other impression on you. It is caused due to skin dryness, skin diseases, fungal or bacterial infections, inflammatory disorders, obesity or sunburn, etc. Olive oil is the best oil that helps to clear all these problems with its amazing properties and makes your hair itchy-less and
Method – 1: (Olive Oil with Combination of other Essential Oils)
- Take olive oil and add this any of the essential oils like lavender, coconut oil, tea tree oil, almond, avocado, etc. in 2:1 ratio i.e. 2 parts of olive oil mixed with 1 part of any of your favourite oil but quantity depends on the length of your hair.
- Stir it well as both the oil has to be properly mixed.
- Apply this to your scalp and hair and let it on for few hours or for overnight
- Wash your hair in the next morning and you will find beautiful and itchy-less hair.
Method – 2: (Olive Oil, Mayonnaise and Broccoli’s Puree)
- Take olive oil, mayonnaise and broccoli’s puree or egg
- Mix it well and apply it on your scalp by rubbing it gently
- Leave it for few hours and then rinse it off with shampoo
- Repeat this regularly to get rid of the problem of itchiness.
Method – 3: (Olive Oil with Other Natural Oils)
- Take olive oil, coconut oil and almond oil and mix all these oils well
- Warm the mixture and apply it on your scalp
- Leave it on for few hours or overnight by covering your hair with shower or any plastic cap.
- Wash it on the morning to relieve itches on the scalp caused as a result of dandruff
Olive Oil for Itchy Scalp and Dandruff:
Dry Scalp causes itchiness. Itchy scalp causes dandruff. So, to get rid of the itchiness on your scalp and dandruff try these simple methods.
Method – 1 (Olive Oil)
- Take sufficient amount of olive oil and apply it on your scalp by rubbing it to get saturated properly all over the scalp and hair.
- Allow it to stay on hair for up to 8 hours or overnight and wear shower cap.
- After that, rinse it off with shampoo followed by water.
Method – 2: (Olive Oil with Almond Oil)
- Take olive oil and almond oil and mix it well
- After completely mixing, apply it on your hair and scalp
- Massage it for few minutes and then leave it on for about 5 – 10 minutes
- Whenever, it stars to burn wash it off with shampoo to get clear from the itchy scalp and dandruff.
Olive Oil for Flaky Scalp:
Flaky scalp is that the flakes on the scalp are dried dead skin that accumulate on the scalp and finally causes dandruff and itching. It occurs due to lack of oil production in the scalp that becomes over dry. These dead cells will shred on your shoulders and nails when scratched. Olive oil helps to prevent this problem effectively.
Method – 1: (Olive Oil)
- Take sufficient amount of olive oil as per your hair length
- Apply it all over your scalp and hair
- Massage it on the scalp and let it sit for few hours or for overnight
- Wash it off in the next morning
- This process helps to moisturize the scalp and prevents not only the formed flakes but also helps to prevent the formation of the new flakes.
Method – 2: (Olive Oil with Tea Tree Oil)
- Take 8 – 10 drops of tea tree oil and add this to 1 oz of olive oil
- Combine both the oils and apply this to your scalp
- Rub your scalp to cover all the area of the hair
- Leave it for few hours and then rinse it off with shampoo
- Use regular oil massages to get rid of this flaky scalp problem.
Olive Oil for Dry, Itchy and Flaky Scalp:
Olive oil moisturizes the scalp and prevents the flaking skin that associated with dandruff and cradle cap. It makes your day to spend without itching and having flakes of dead skin cells that fall on your shoulders.
Method: (Olive Oil with Honey)
- Take a plastic zipper bag and fill it with 1 tablespoon of honey and 2 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Stir it well and seal the bag
- Then take a mug or bowl and fill it about halfway with hot water
- Place this bag in the hot water and let it sit for 5 – 7 minutes
- Remove the bag and cut the corner of one end of this plastic bag
- Now place this bag over your head and squeeze it to disperse the mixture
- Massage your hair so that it saturate all over your hair completely
- Wrap your head in shower cap and allow it to stay on hair for about 15 – 20 minutes
- Rinse your hair with mild shampoo and repeat it as needed by you to prevent the problem.
Olive Oil for Scalp Psoriasis:
Scalp psoriasis is a common skin disorder that has reddish scaly patches appears as one or multiple patches on the scalp and spread to forehead, neck and ear but it is not contagious problem. Olive oil when applied on the scalp psoriasis locks the moisture and nutrients that helps to treat the scalp psoriasis efficiently.
Method – 1: (Olive Oil)
- Take few tablespoons of olive oil and apply it to scales and patches of psoriasis.
- Massage gently on your scalp for few minutes to loosen the troublesome plaques
- Or you can leave it for overnight after massaging
- Rinse it off with shampoo and conditioner.
Method – 2: (Olive Oil with Warm Water)
- Take a cup of lukewarm water and 1/2 cup of olive oil (slightly warmed)
- Mix it well and then pour it gently over the scalp that was affected by the psoriasis.
- Allow some time to do its work of sooth the skin and also soften the scales
- Finally wash it off with shampoo followed by water.
Method – 3: (Olive Oil and Tea Tree Oil)
- Take a cup of olive oil and warm the oil by placing it in a pot that has hot water in it
- Add 10 – 15 drop so tea tree oil and mix it well
- Pour this mixture into an empty bottle and part your hair to apply this mixture on the scalp properly.
- Apply it all over your scalp but concentrate more on the bed spots and massage your scalp for few minutes
- Wrap your hair in shower cap or any plastic wrap
- Allow it to sit for 2 – 3 hours but remember to rinse it off whenever it burns too much (as added tea tree oil)
- Repeat the process once in 15 days to get rid of the scalp psoriasis.
Olive Oil for Scalp Eczema:
Scalp eczema is a type of eczema that causes redness, dryness, itching, flaking and development of oily, scaly patches on the scalp. Olive oil will moisturize the scalp and removes the patches on the scalp to treats the scalp eczema.
- Apply warmed olive oil directly on your scalp
- Massage it gently by concentrating more on the most affected area
- Leave it on for few minutes and then rinse it off with mild shampoo
- Then take a soft bristled brush and brush away any remaining scales.
- This process helps to loosen and remove the scales by soothing the burning sensation.
- Or you can also apply a little bit of olive oil after taking the shower that helps to moisture your scalp and prevents dry, itchy, flaky scalp that irritates your scalp.
Olive Oil for Scalp Fungus:
Scalp fungus can cause dandruff, itching, dryness, flaking, head lice, hair loss, etc. As we know that olive oil with its antibacterial, anti-fungal properties will efficiently treats all these problems i.e. scalp fungus. So try the following method to prevent scalp fungus problem.
- Take olive oil and apply it on your scalp and hair
- Massage all over the scalp and leave it for few hours or overnight
- Cover your hair with shower cap and apply heat by using hair dryer.
- Then rinse it off with shampoo and let it dry naturally.
Olive Oil for Baby Scalp:
Even babies scalp will also exposure to many things like sunlight, dirt, bacterial and fungal infections, etc. Using olive oil on your baby scalp will helps to prevent many hair and scalp problems like cradle cap, dandruff, eczema, psoriasis, etc. Follow this method to have healthy and shiny scalp and hair to your babies.
Method: (Olive Oil for Cradle Cap, Dry Scalp)
- Take a small amount of pure olive oil and rub it on your baby’s scalp
- Let it be on for 15 – 20 minutes and then gently comb out the flakes with fine-tooth comb or soft bristles brush to remove the flakes on their hair.
- Rinse your baby hair with baby shampoo and leave it for few minutes before rinsing that helps to cut the oil.
- This process helps to clog the pores and cause the flakes to stick that comes out easily. It helps to treat flaky scalp and cradle cap problems in your baby’s scalp.
Olive Oil on Scalp for Hair Growth:
Olive oil helps in a great way to treat all your hair and scalp problems. It allows your hair to grow properly and health. Try these methods for shiny, healthy and beautiful hair.
Method – 1: (Olive Oil and Tea Tree Oil)
- Take 3 tablespoons of olive oil and add 5 – 7 drops of tea tree oil
- Stir it well and apply it on your scalp
- Wrap your head in shower cap or towel
- Leave it like that for overnight and shampoo your hair normally in the morning
- This process helps to grow your hair and also prevents dandruff.
Method – 2: (Olive Oil Hair Mask)
- Take 1/2 cup of olive oil and add this to 1 well-beaten egg yolk and several drops of lemon juice
- Mix it well and then apply this as a mask on your hair by apply more on your scalp
- Leave it for about 20 – 30 minutes and then wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner.
Olive Oil on Scalp Dandruff:
Olive oil moisturizes and can soak into thick, scaly areas on the scalp that treats dandruff issues, hydrating them enough to allow them to loosen and release in a large piece instead of smaller flakes. This will ends up the dandruff issue finally.
Method – 1: (Olive Oil Overnight Treatment)
- Pour 8 – 10 drops of olive oil into your palms and apply it on your scalp
- Massage it properly and place a shower cap to your head
- Leave it on for overnight and then rinse it off in the morning using regular or medicated dandruff shampoo.
- This process allows the oil to moisturize the scalp and remove the dandruff flakes.
Method – 2: (Olive Oil with Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Take 2 tablespoons each of olive oil, apple cider vinegar and distilled water in a small bowl
- Mix it well until their combined properly
- Wet your hair and pour this rinse over your head
- Massage your scalp with your fingers and leave it on your scalp for about 20 – 25 minutes
- Wash it with shampoo and water and repeat it regularly to easily get rid of the scalp dandruff problem.
- This process helps to cleanse your scalp and rejuvenate dull roots that prevents dandruff.
Precautions and Tips to be Followed to use Olive Oil for Scalp:
Follow these simple tips to get more benefits and to easily solve the scalp problems.
- Hot olive oil may burn or scald the scalp so don’t use hot oil it’s better to use warm oil for adults and plain (not heated) oil to your babies. Test it first to know the hotness and then apply it on the scalp.
- Olive oil will not likely to cause any allergic reactions on any type of body i.e. it is ideal for sensitive skin and hair people to use it without any problem.
- Don’t stop all these methods by trying it once. Follow it regularly until you get complete relief from the problem.
- You can also take olive oil orally by using it in cooking process, salad dressings, etc. that helps for your overall hair, scalp and skin and makes them healthy and shiny.
- For best results, choose a high quality extra virgin or virgin olive oil to apply it on your scalp and hair.
- Rinse out the olive oil in your hair with shampoo after using it. If not completely washed, the pores on the scalp may clog causing the flakes to stick to your scalp.
Simply applying olive oil to your scalp is not the only thing to be done to prevent complete problem. But you have be hygienic in hair care, regular removal of the hair care products, regular application of oils, reducing stress, taking healthy diet, maintain proper hormones level, etc. will help a lot in prevent the scalp and hair problems.
This is all about Olive Oil for Scalp. Have you tried any other methods of olive oil in treating scalp and hair problems? Then share your experience with us.www.ayurvedatips.org