Well, now there are reasons to feel better.
Chocolate – the thought of it leaves your mouth watering, doesn’t it? Well, chocolate is one of the few food items that are liked by people of all ages. So what makes chocolate so irresistible? Firstly, more than anything it is a rich blend that has the potential to please every palate. But according to nutritionist Hira Ranjan, “Several chemical reactions also take place. Chocolate leads to the secretion of endorphins that makes you feel happier or in other words ‘a high’.” Unlike the popular belief that it is an unhealthy snack, chocolate also has many health benefits.
When it comes to talking about health hazards, there are several myths that are making the rounds, and all you chocoholics would be glad to know that it is not as bad as it is assumed to be. Here’s a quick myth buster:
Myth: Chocolate leads to increase in weight
Fact: Chocolate does not lead to an increase in weight. The butter/cream, and sugar in milk chocolates lead to an increase in weight.
Myth: Chocolate can lead to tooth decay
Fact: According to Eastman Dental Center in Rochester, New York, chocolate contains phosphate and is therefore least likely to contribute to tooth decay. In fact, cocoa contains certain antibacterials that fight tooth decay.
Myth: Chocolate causes acne
Fact: Chocolate has no effect on acne, unless you are allergic to it or any other ingredient in the chocolate.
According to Samir Vadalar (name changed), nutritionist,“Chocolate contains a number of nutrients like potassium and magnesium. It also has vitamins like A1, B1, B2, D and E, and most health hazards attributed to a bar of chocolate are due to other ingredients that are added in the chocolate.” Ranjan further adds, “A bar of chocolate brings a smile on everyone’s face and remember there is nothing more healthier than a happy mind and a satisfied heart.”
So, are we trying to then say that chocolate has no health hazards? Not really. Says Vadalar, “In India, most people consume milk chocolates that are high in calorie count due to the butter and sugar content in it. So it could be harmful. Remember, it is always advisable to indulge in dark chocolate rather than milk chocolate.”
10 Reasons to eat chocolate
1. Chocolate is a high-energy food and contains many essential nutrients
2. Chocolate increases antioxidants in the blood
3. Apparently, people who eat chocolate regularly live longer!
4. Chocolate helps prevent cardiovascular diseases
5. According to an Italian study, dark chocolate can be used to control blood pressure and diabetes
6. Chocolates made from cocoa are one of the richest sources of magnesium
7. Eating moderate amount of dark chocolate can lead to health and well being
8. Chocolate reduces anxiety and acts as a painkiller
9. Chocolate can trigger the brain’s natural opiates
10. And finally, it is indeed yummy!
So all you chocoholics can now rejoice as you can actually boost your health with chocolate! But remember the darker your chocolate is, the better it is for your health.